Size & Weight
Tennessee State Laws Regulating Commercial Vehicle Size & Weight
The Tennessee Code Annotated (TCA) Title 55, Chapter 7, Part 2 provides legal information on the weight and length specifications for motor and other vehicles within the state of Tennessee. Visit our TCA Codes page.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Rules & Regulations
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) provides links to and information about federal rules and regulations governing motor carriers and the trucking industry. Visit Site.
Tennessee Code Annotated
The complete Tennessee Code Annotated lists the rules and regulations for the State of Tennessee. This link will take you to a site where you can browse the TCA in its entirety. Visit site.
Hazardous Materials Regulations
The US Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration provides links to and information about transport of hazardous materials. Visit site.
Educational and Technical Assistance Packet
The Tennessee Department of Safety provides an Educational and Technical Assistance Packet titled "A Motor Carrier's Guide to Improving Highway Safety." It is sponsored by the FMCSA along with THP's New Entrant and ACES programs.
The handbook is available for download on this page. You may download separate parts of the document or you may choose to download the entire book at once.
Trucker's Handbook (complete, 15 MB PDF file)
- Section 1 (partial, 4.5 MB PDF file) [Contents listed below]
- TENNESSEE HIGHWAY PATROL DISTRICTS
- FMCSA FIELD DIRECTORY
- OBTAIN MANUAL AND FORMS
- NEW ENTRANT BACKGROUND INFORMATION
- WEB SITES OF INTEREST AND ASSISTANCE
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT FMCSA WEBSITES
- lYrA / IRP / HIGHWAY FUEL TAX
- PART 382 ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING REQUIREMENTS
- PART 383 COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE STANDARDS: REQUIREMENTS AND PENAL TIES
- PART 385 SAFETY FITNESS PROCEDURES
- PART 387 MINIMUM LEVELS OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MOTOR CARRIERS 46
- Section 2 (partial, 3.5 MB PDF file) [Contents listed below]
- PART 390 FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS: GENERAL
- PART 391 QUALIFICATIONS OF DRIVERS
- PART 392 DRIVING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
- PART 393 PARTS AND ACCESSORIES NECESSARY FOR SAFE OPERATION
- PART 395 HOURS OF SERVICE OF DRIVERS
- Section 3 (partial, 4 MB PDF file) [Contents listed below]
- PART 396 INSPECTIONS, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE
- TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- MOTOR CARRIER FINANCIAL AND OPERATION STATISTICS
- MOTOR CARRIERS OF PASSENGERS (BUSES)
- ACCIDENT COUNTERMEASURES
- Section 4 (partial, 3.5 MB PDF file) [Contents listed below]
- OVERWEIGHT/OVERDIMENSIONAL LOADS: CHAPTER 1680-7-1
- RULES FOR DUMP TRUCKS
- CERTIFICATE AND AUTHORITY FOR MEXICO-DOMICILED CARRIER OPERATIONS THROUGHTOUT THE UNITED STATES
- BRIDGE FORMULA WEIGHTS AND LAWS